Before I even get started I will say this… Wow!
Playing music through Psi-Fi and switching it on and off to hear what it does is pretty amazing.
I am very familiar with pro audio processors. What Psi-Fi does is something new. It is not an EQ, a stereo enhancer or psychoacoustic processor. It is subtle yet powerful. It makes everything sound more alive. I tested Psi-Fi on all types of recordings ranging from 1930’s Bing Crosby to the latest releases from Depeche Mode and in every case Psi enhanced the listening experience. While it is hard to put into words I can say that it makes the sound seem like it is coming from everywhere and not just the speakers. It fills the room. It is pretty amazing and I know that when sound engineers get ahold of this it is going to change recorded music.”,
PSI-Fi™ is an entirely new class of sound processors called an audio dimensionalizer. It’s long been recognized that recordings never sound quite as good as the live performance. The solution to this problem has been the holy grail of artists, music producers and sound engineers since the beginning of recorded sound. Many attempts have been made to fix this but none have solved the problem.
Equalization, panning, channel mixing, power banding, and even adding frequencies have been tried either alone or in various combinations, but have always produced subjective, unpredictable, and mostly undesirable results. In every case, the spectrum of the source signal is modified into something else and the originator’s intention is lost forever. PSI-Fi™ takes a new approach by addressing this issue at the most basic fundamental level of the sound where the only elements are the intention of the originator and the inherent resonant body of the instrument. In live sound, the integration of these two elements is natural, uninhibited, and free interact with the environment and be reassembled by listeners in their own desired manner.
Unfortunately, the standard recording process locks these two elements together and an entire dimension of the live performance is lost. PSI-Fi™ is a key that unlocks, unleashes and frees this hidden dimension allowing the listener to assemble the sound or music in a manner of their own choosing. Suddenly, the sound becomes more alive, dynamic and clear, imparting the specific psychoacoustic effects intended by the creator.
PSI-Fi™ works for both the recording and playback sides of live performance, analog and digital recordings, and all encoded and compressed digital files. It is currently available as a stand-alone, downloadable, application for Apple and Windows platforms. Mobile device apps, professional models, user licenses and built-in devices will be offered as our plan unfolds.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Sound has two dimensions, a “time” element that originates from the intentions of a speaker, singer or musician and a “spectral” component that radiates from the resounding body of the instrument being used and the player’s interaction with it.
On the “other side” in the inner world these two components are discreet and exist in a state of pure potential. However, when they are gathered by intention and brought into our “real” world by the conscious choice and action of a musician, they are locked together into a complex waveform. Although they are combined into a single wave packet, in a live performance the relationship between these two separate components varies constantly due to the changing conditions of both the external environment of the instrument and the internal environment of the listener. This ever-flowing river of real and imaginary variations is extremely dynamic and contributes to the overall spatial qualities of the sound. Even if the same sound is made in the same environment, minute factors will make it sound slightly different each time. So, in a live performance, all four of these factors; player, instrument, environment and listener create varying relationships between the time and spectral elements of the music. However, in the standard recording process, a whole dimension of the music is lost, resulting in a dead, lifeless sound. Both of these components become locked together in whatever relationship they were at the moment and the sound looses its “alive” feeling. This is one of the main reasons why a recording never sounds as good as the original live presentation. Digital recording adds to this problem, causing a loss of analog “warmth”. Socalled “stereo sound” is a step in the right direction but merely a feeble attempt to restore what has been inadvertently taken away. Analog recording is superior to digital but still has this limitation along with several others such as noise and lack of dynamic range.
Digital encoding (like MP3) further amplifies this problem by ignoring one of these dimensions altogether, seriously sacrificing quality for convenience, and the “realism” is lost forever. Much has been written about this and other problems caused by digital recording that significantly affect fidelity and the true spatial qualities of the sound.1 There have even been reports of danger being associated with listening to digital sound and music. Currently available audiophile approved solutions are mostly just expensive “fixes” that modify the spectral aspects of the music with wildly subjective results. In addition, portability can sometimes be an issue in mobile systems, if heavy hardware is required.
Unfortunately, digital has many desirable traits that have helped it to become the standard because of the convenience, dynamic range and superior noise reduction it provides, but the evidence is growing that it has problems and limitations, and a lot of serious musicians are beginning to realize that something is not quite right. A whole new generation of digital downloading is on the way, utilizing master recording sampling rates, which will dramatically improve the quality of digital downloading, but it will not solve the problem of the missing dimension.
FEATURES OF PSI-FI
1. Unlocks, separates and frees the missing dimension from any digital recording both lossy and loss-less (.wav.aiff.mp3.mp4.aac.ogg).
2. Binaural Phasing engages the listener like never before by providing a psycho-acoustical effect, while it’s Psiodelic™ Audio Visualizer has powerful psycho-visual effects. These psychoacoustic and psycho-visual effects make the PSI-Fi™ much more than just a sound enhancement or therapy technology…it is a sound and light transformational technology.
3. Analog-ifies a digitally encoded signal by replacing the missing partials – dramatically increasing the quality of mp3 and other forms of encoded sound.
4. Stereo-izes a mono signal – adds a true stereo channel to a single mono channel – especially useful with live microphones and for modernizing old mono audio and movie soundtracks.
5. Increases dynamic range with a 64-bit floating-point audio architecture that extends well beyond the capacity of the human ear.
6. A bi-phasic Psiodelic™ Audio Visualizer provides a graphic display of the relationship between the two different dimensional components and visually validates the PSI-Fi™ process by showing the unlocking and release of the hidden imaginary partials. In addition, the relationships between these individual automata can be connected together in ten different ways creating an almost infinite number of visual possibilities from throbbing geometries of every imaginable shape and color, ethereal cloud like streams, gentle colored waterfalls, mind-blowing psychedelic fractals and mystical spinning galaxies. This creates a powerful psycho-visual effect that is mesmerizing, extremely pleasurable and profoundly relaxing, but extremely stimulating and inspiring at the same time. You can “feel” the effects in your skin as if it can see it as well. And, best of all, the displayed pixels represent the true harmonics of the sound being heard at the same time, resulting in further whole-brain synchrony through multi-sensory coherence.
For more information visit www.Psi-Fi-Sound.com