The ALERT (Attentive Living through Energizing, Restorative Technology) is the result of 20 years of combined expertise and research by Michael Joyce of Personal Resource Strategies and David Siever of Mind Alive Inc.
Michael Joyce has completed two studies using the DAVID systems to treat ADD/ADHD. His first study involved 30 primary school children from two schools (which was published in the Journal of Neurotherapy) and his second study included 204 children from seven schools, which he completed while he was the Director of Neurotechnology at A Chance to Grow, a special-needs charter school in Minneapolis.
Both studies showed that ADD behaviours were reduced significantly and reading improved with AVE . Michael used the DAVID’s unique patented field stimulation ability to generate a different frequency in each hemisphere of the brain. With this technique and a Symptom Survey checklist developed by Michael, he was able to create DAVID sessions that could stimulate or calm the left, right or both hemispheres depending on the symptoms checked off by the child’s parents.
Over time, Michael has refined and developed these sessions based on the checklist toproduce benefits in specific areas. Now, all of this expertise has been put into the DAVID ALERT.
AUDIO-VISUAL ENTRAINMENT (AVE):
To ensure safe, gentle and effective audio-visual entrainment (AVE), the DAVID ALERT offers the following:
- Tru-Vu OmniscreenTM Eyesets – Our unique Tru-Vu OmniscreenTM Eyesets were carefully designed to provide you with the most effective and safe light and sound experience. The Tru-Vu OmniscreenTM Eyesets for the PAL use eight blue-tinted white LEDs mounted over a silver reflector behind a translucent screen. This disperses the light evenly. Our new Tru-Vu OmniscreenTM Eyesets are specially designed to allow for the left and right visual fields of each eye to be individually stimulated rather than the entire eye. With the Tru-Vu OmniscreenTM Eyesets, the lights flash into the left visual fields of both eyes, then alternately flashes into the right visual fields of both eyes. This approach allows the ability to stimulate either visual cortex with a frequency different from the other visual cortex. For example, a person who functions strongly from the left brain could have 8 Hz stimulated into the right visual field (and therefore the left brain) to slow down left brain function and have 18 Hz stimulated into the left visual field to increase right brain function.
- Isochronic Pulsed Tones, Binaural Beats and Chime – The tones of the DAVID ALERT are evenly spaced, are of equal pitch and are turned on and off at a specified rate. This is important to enhance the effectiveness of audio entrainment.
- Soft-OffTM – The gradual lowering of the lights and tones at the end of the session prevents a startle response (also known as somnatic shock). Soft-OffTM ensures that relaxation and other benefits carry over even after a session has ended.
- Battery Power Indicator – At a quick glance you can tell if your battery has enough power to run your session. New eyeset technology allows for much longer life for your 9-volt battery.
- Easy-To-Find Intensity and Volume Buttons – The intensity and volume buttons are raised so that you can make the necessary adjustments easily and quickly, even with your eyes closed. Adjust the intensity of the OmniscreenTM Eyeset with the easy-to-find INT button.
- 24 Preset Sessions – Sessions grouped into convenient categories (Left Hemisphere, Right Hemisphere, Whole Brain, Meditator, Toolbox, Sound Sync, User Defined). 11 of the sessions were designed by Michael Joyce exclusively for the ALERT. The remaining session are our very favourites from the DAVID series.
EACH DAVID ALERT COMES COMPLETE WITH:
- Tru-Vu OmniscreenTM Eyeset and Carry Case
- Quality Stereo Headphones
- Stereo Patch Cord
- DAVID Carry Bag
- AC Adapter
- 9-Volt Alkaline Battery
- Comprehensive Operator’s Manual and User’s Guide with Symptom Survey Checklist
HEART RATE VARIABILITY (HRV):
For the first time ever, a system exists where meditative breathing may be paced along with an audio-visual entrainment (AVE) session. Long, graceful breathing cycles have been used as part of meditation. Scientifically, this technique has been analyzed and shown to settle down a stressed autonomic nervous system. Both sympathetic (flight-or-fight) activity and para-sympathetic (the brain’s efforts to compensate) activity settle down dramatically using HRV techniques.
The heart speeds up with every breath in and slows down with every breath out. This swing in heart rate is HRV. A typical heart beat swing is in the order of about 15 beats per minute (bpm). When people get stressed, the heart typically clamps to sometimes as low as five bpm HRV at times intermixed with sharp spikes in heart rate. This is all abnormal activity and is rough on the heart.
The HRV technique used clinically is based on a 10 second breathing cycle (six breaths/minute, by inhaling slowly for five seconds and exhaling slowly for five seconds in an easy, relaxed breath). When using HRV paced breathing, listen to the heartbeat generated by the DAVID PALTM through the headphones. Inhale for two heartbeats and exhale for two heartbeats (not your own heartbeats!). Most sessions begin at seven breathing cycles/minute (28 heartbeats/min) and slow to six breaths /minute (24 heartbeats/min). This allows the user to breathe a little faster at the onset of a session until he/she has had time to relax.